Barong Tagalog General Care Instructions
Washing (Hand Wash Only)
1. Submerge the barong in a mild detergent solution. Gently agitate the solution with your hand to further distribute soap molecules. Take it up and down several times to let the solution flow through the fabric.
2. For a cocoon or a jusi barong, you can use a soft brush (if necessary) to gently remove stains and visible dirt particularly on the collar, underneath the cuffs, and armholes. For a piña barong, brushing is not recommended. Just apply more detergent on the area with visible dirt. Submerge it in the detergent solution and take it up and down continuously or splash with detergent solution continuously until the dirt disappears.
3. Rinse it well using clean water. Do not squeeze or twist when rinsing.
4. Hang it in a plastic round edge hanger and drip dry.
Ironing / Pressing
1. Damp the fabric using a wet towel or a spray.
2. Press over the damp area using a low heat setting. Repeat all over until all the wrinkles disappear.
(If the low heat setting doesn't work well, gradually increase it to medium until it becomes effective. Never press on high heat as it can cause the organza lining in a piña, piña-silk, abaca, or cocoon barong to shrink. )
1. To prolong the life of your barong, make sure it is clean and dry before storing.
2. Hang in a suit hanger or a round edge hanger.
3. Cover with canvas garment bag and store in a cool and dry place.