How to Iron a Barong Tagalog
1. Damp the fabric using a wet towel or a spray.
2. Press over the damp area using a low heat setting. If the low heat setting doesn't work well, gradually increase it until it becomes effective. Repeat all over until all the wrinkles disappear.
Never press on high heat as it can damage the barong. To minimize the risk of damaging it, place a piece of cloth or a handkerchief between the barong and the iron.
For a coat barong, you'll need a sleeve ironing board in order to iron an entire sleeve without causing a crease. If you don't have a sleeve ironing board, use a rolled towel and slip it inside a sleeve.
You can steam a barong. However, it if you want a crisp look and feel, ironing is recommended.
How to Steam a Barong Tagalog
1. Turn the steamer on and allow it to warm up.
2. When the steamer is already emitting a steady flow of steam, hold it at an appropriate distance and start running it over the barong. Avoid making direct contact with the material.
3. To achieve and maintain the proper shape of the collar, place it on a hard surface and apply pressure around it.
4. The sleeves of a coat barong require special attention because each sleeve has two parts - the under sleeve and the upper sleeve. To achieve a flawless finish, steam the under sleeve first before steaming the upper sleeve.
5. Once done, let it hang and leave it to dry.
6. Turn the steamer off. Unplug it and pour out the remaining water before storing it.